For every quintessential first day of school photo posted on Facebook or Instagram, there are 50 other photos of that same kid looking less than thrilled about his/her upcoming school year.
Case in point. Harlow’s first day of school was this morning and she refused to put her sign lower than her face. I ended up taking the sign with us on our walk to school and tried again later on the street.
She got it about halfway down.
I asked you guys to submit your back to school bloopers for the chance to win a $250 Amex gift card and a prize pack from Mini Babybel. As I suspected, the outtakes tell a much truer story than the photos that made it to Instagram.
Here are 41 ways a first day of school photo can go wrong:
1. Your kids are not even a little bit excited about their first day of school.
2. Your kid heard they do bad things to puppies there.
3. Your kid looks like she might hurt you in your sleep if you send her to pre-K.
4. Your kid doesn’t want to have anything to do with your fancy sign.
5. Your kid thinks she is catching flies.
6. What is it with sticking out tongues in first day of school pics?
7. It’s Better than butt wiggling, I guess.
8. Your youngest is really mad he’s old enough to go to school.
9. your youngest is really mad she’s not old enough to go to school.
10. Your youngest is so mad, she photobombs her big sister’s shot.
11. Speaking of photobombers…
12. One more super stealthy one…
13. Your kid won’t stand still long enough to get a shot in focus.
14. Your kid won’t even come outside.
15. You need to put your half-dressed husband in the shot so everyone cooperates.
16. Your kid insists on wearing his favorite winter hat in 90 degree heat.
17. Your kid thinks school starts too goddamn early.
18. Your kid won’t get up off the floor.
19. there is no way in hell your kid wants to begin her school career wearing matching outfits with her big sister.
20. Your kid refuses to look at the camera.
21. Your kid would rather look at his own reflection.
22. Your kid won’t stop making frowny faces.
23. Your kid won’t stop covering his face.
24. Your kids won’t stop acting like zombies.
24. Your kid keeps flashing his nipple.
25. Your kid was not paying attention to the calendar and this first day of school stuff totally caught her off guard.
26. Your kid hasn’t quite mastered a natural smile.
27. Your kid does not trust his sign.
28. Your kid trusts no one.
29. Your kid reverts back to her pacifier.
30. Your kid looks so adorably excited, you don’t want to leave him EVER.
31. Wait. Why are they so excited to leave you???
32. On second thought…
33. Your kid is SO over the picture taking thing.
34. Your kids tear up their signs in a grand show of rebellion which terrifies you for the teenage years.
35. Your kids refuse to pick up their huge Frozen backpacks, even though they picked them out themselves.
36. Your kid hates his new classmates.
37. Your kid refuses to go in the classroom.
38. Your kid just realized Woody is not in his class this year.
39. Your kid just realized he’s be sitting at a desk all day.
40. Your kid is like— “Mom, why are you still here? Get out already.”
41. Your kids are like- “We’re too old for this. We’re going to the mall after school. Don’t wait up!”
And the winner of the $250 Amex gift card and prize pack from Mini Babybel goes to @jennchase, who snapped this awesome photobomb of her 1st grader Ella getting hazed by an underclassman.
Congratulations Ella! Please give some of your Mini Babybel winnings to your little sister so she feels a little better about being trapped at home.
Contact email@example.com to claim your prize.
Even if your kids were sad when they left for school, you’ve got the perfect opportunity to make them smile and remind them of home the second they open their lunchbox.
Mini Babybel is 100% natural cheese and perfectly portioned making it a great choice for an easy, packable lunchbox addition or snack. It comes in seven different rich and creamy flavors— from classic Original to smooth Mozzarella style, each with at least 4 grams of protein and 15% of your daily calcium needs. All for 70 calories or less.
But the best part of Mini Babybel has to be the pull tab and the red wax casing. Kids don’t just love eating it, they love unwrapping it.
I admit, I love unwrapping it too.
I hope everyone’s kids have a great year ahead of them with a lot more opportunities to “say cheese”. Class photos are right around the corner and you don’t want them to mess those up like they did last year!
This post was sponsored by Mini Babybel, but all first day of school photo fails are your own.