This year, more than any other year, I couldn’t wait for school to start. I think it’s because both Mazzy and Harlow rebelled against camp for the second half of August, totally throwing us off schedule and making it impossible for me to get any work done. I was really craving our regular routine again. Up at 7am, out the door by 8am and then seven blissful hours when you know your kids are safe and learning and you can work or relax or get errands done, guilt-free.
You know who usually doesn’t like starting the school year routine?
The kids actually in school.
At least that’s what it looks like from all of your first day of school photo submissions. Harlow and Mazzy both took killer first day of school photos on their own, but when I tried to take a picture of the two of them together? They were both like— nope, nope, nope, nope, NOPE.
Check out my favorite first day of school photo fails below, plus the winning photo and one more chance to win a $250 Amex gift card + Mini Babybel prize pack.
38 kids who would rather be going anywhere but back to school:
1) The kid who thinks if he doesn’t sign in, he won’t have to stay
2) The kid who won’t even get near your PROFESSIONAL LEVEL back-to-school sign
3) The girl who did not ask to wear matching sweatshirts with her brother
4) The kid who is happy to get Mom to himself
5) The kid who was okay with school until you sent him away on a bus
6) The kid who refuses to face the camera
7) The kid who doesn’t want his sister to leave
8) The kid who wanted to stand in the middle
9) The kids who got photobombed by a neighbor’s dog
10) The kid who didn’t understand when you said “turn the sign around”
11) The kid who wants to wait outside the school until it’s time for pick-up
12) The kid who wants to be strolled straight into the classroom
13) The kid who might make his dad have a meltdown
14) The kid who suddenly forgot how to sit
15) The kids who stood behind the wrong sides of their sign
16) The kid who can’t even be bribed with a new Trolls lunchbox
17) The kid who wanted a sign even though he’s not going anywhere
18) The kid who thought she’d get to stay home forever
19) The kid who thinks, if you can’t see her, she doesn’t have to go
20) The kid who feels totally betrayed
21) The mom who knows her kid really well and planned ahead
22) The kids who just want to go back inside the house
23) The kid who wants you to go to school while he stays at home
24) The kid who doesn’t trust his teacher
25) The kid who sees the entrance and runs in the opposite direction
26) The kid who makes Dad hold the sign
27) The kid who literally breaks your heart before you leave her there
28) The kid who is more cynical than last year
29) The kid who needs some help from his big brother
30) The kid who just found out where you’re taking him
31) The kid who definitely needs some help with reading
32) The kid who needs some time to warm up to his new teacher
33) The kid who can’t believe her childhood is over
34) The kid who refuses to pose to commemorate this horrible occasion
35) The girl who wishes her little brother wasn’t joining her at school this year
36) The kid who is ignoring you and your stupid sign
37) The kid who wants to make her t-shirt ironic
And the winner is….
38) The girl who got PTSD after day one
Congratulations! Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to claim your prize!
Want one more chance to win a $250 Amex gift card + Mini Babybel® prize pack?
To enter, you must be a Mommy Shorts subscriber. Then leave a comment telling me which photo is your favorite below! Winner will be announced September 15th. Good luck!
I want to give a big thanks to Mini Babybel for sponsoring my back-to-school series. The little red-wax-covered cheese has been a longtime favorite of mine for putting together an easy packable lunch and as an after school snack that won’t spoil your kids’ dinner. Each Mini Babybel is 100% real cheese with 4 grams of protein and 15% of your daily calcium needs, all for 70 calories or less.
I eat them myself all the time too.
Congratulations to Kearsten Nardulli! Please email email@example.com to claim your prize!
This post was sponsored by Mini Babybel but all school-hating kids are your own.