Today is Harlow’s birthday! (More on that later.) She turns four. Can you believe it? How can @insta2yearold be four??? In honor of her special day, I decided to post cake smash photos. What’s a cake smash? Babies going to town on their very first birthday cakes.
Of course, Mazzy and Harlow are both too old for cake smashes, but even when they were babies, they were both absurdly neat when eating desserts. I think in Harlow’s case, it’s because she’s a neat freak and in Mazzy’s case, it’s because she wouldn’t dream of wasting frosting by letting it go anywhere but in her mouth. Both my girls had terrible cake smashes on their first birthdays. There was no smashing. Not even crying. Just indifference. I was like— come on, guys! I’m a mom blogger! Give me something!!!
To which Mazzy said, “NOPE.”
Thank god I have you guys to show me how a real cake smash is done.
I asked for cake smash photos on my Facebook page last week and today I’m giving out awards to the best entries. My absolute favorite photo gets a six month supply of Bounty paper towels. Because judging by some of the pics below, these parents are STILL cleaning up the mess.
All we needed for my girls was a napkin. LAME.
The Cake Smash Smack Down Awards
1. The “I’m Glad We Did This Outside” Award
2. Best Cake Beard
3. Most Enchanted Smash
4. Best Face Plant
5. Best Sculpting Technique
6. Most Likely to Share her Cake with Mickey Mouse
7. Most likely to get tossed in the washing machine
8. The “Go Away, I’m Busy” Award
9. Most Perplexed Smash
10. Biggest Sugar Rush
11. Most Disappointed by a Cupcake / The “I Thought This Was Called a Cake Smash” Award
12. The “I can’t believe my parents are letting me do this!” Award
13. Biggest Sugar Coma
14. Most Contemplative Smash
15. Most Stoic Smash
16. Least Kissable
17. Best Cake Mitts
18. Most Likely to Get Permanent Food Coloring Stains
19. The “This Dirt Tastes Delicious!” Award
20. Most Likely to Learn a Big Birthday Lesson
21. The “Where’s My Seconds?” Award
22. Most Innocent Smash
23. Biggest Clean-up
24. Most Miserable Smash
25. Most Likely to Keep her Headband Clean
26. The “Taste the Rainbow” Award
27. Best Smash Stance
28. The “It Wasn’t Me” Award
29. The “Stuff Your Face” Award
30. The “Eat it While I Can” Award
31. Most Gleeful Cake Destruction
32. The Teamwork Award
33. Most Color Coordinated
34. Most in Need of his Highchair Restraints
35. The Fanciest Smash
36. Biggest Mouthful
37. The “I Don’t Have to Go Back to Eating Protein and Vegetables after this, do I?” Award
And the winner goes to this photo taken by Faces You Love…..
…Because they could use the Bounty paper towels to wipe away all their simultaneous tears.
Congratulations, Jennifer G! Please contact email@example.com to claim your six month supply of Bounty paper towels. That’s 20 rolls of paper towels, in case you are curious.
Whether it’s celebrating a first birthday or teaching your baby how to sip from a grown-up cup or coming out of the bathroom to see the entire kitchen covered in cracked eggs, parenthood is filled with messy firsts. When they happen, you probably run for the paper towels. Bounty rolls are super absorbent, so you don’t need as many to clean up, and the roll can last up to 50% longer.
You can clean the mess quickly and go back to enjoying the moment, even if that moment is your baby crying over a piece of cake.
Can I eat it?