Remember in the final season of The Sopranos, when Bobby Baccalieri gets brutally gunned down while trying to buy a model train set for his son?
Never in a million years would I have thought— one day that guy will be over my apartment having a tea party with my daughter.
But life is strange and here we are.
This week’s episode of The Mommy Show features actor and author, Steve Schirripa.
Steve sat down with me and Mazzy to discuss his book, “Big Daddy’s Rules: Raising Daughters Is Tougher Than I Look” which encourages dads to get involved, use common-sense parenting and be a big presence at home to keep your kids in line.
He also answers Mazzy’s request for a cup of “nice and warmy milky”, mocks my ability to make a pizza and gives Mike some fatherly advice.
Some other things to note about this episode…
1) It was really hot in my apartment that day. Steve hates being hot so he was using a mini automatic fan when the camera wasn’t rolling. I thought I was fine but later, when I watched the video, I realized my eye make-up was running half-way down my face.
2) I did not assume Steve knew how to make a pizza because he’s Italian. For some reason, I was under the impression it was Steve’s idea to make the pizza instead of doing a craft. BUT— if you are going to form a stereotype about a person, I think “knowing how to make pizza” is not that bad.
3) Apparently, I published this post without a #3, as a reader kindly pointed out in the comment section below. So, now I’m adding one. Who knows what malfunction of my mom brain brought me to this point. I blame Steve Schirripa.
4) In the beginning of the episode, I’m pretending to be on the phone with my mom. On the first take, I tried to be natural but the producer told me I sounded too angry. And I was like— but…. this is how I talk to my mom… Then I felt awful that my mom has to put up with my hideous behavior. And then I realized that one day Mazzy and Harlow will talk to me exactly the same way. Sigh. I tried to tone it down for the next take, but to me, it just sounds really obvious that I’m not actually talking to my mom.
5) Speaking of my mom… It didn’t make the edit, but when Steve talks to my mom on the phone in the beginning of the episode, he asks for her name and addresses her directly. Then at the very end of filming, I mentioned something about my mom and Steve used my mom’s name again in his response. I don’t know why, but I was super impressed that Steve Schirripa remembered my mom’s name two hours later, in a hot apartment, after making pizza, drinking tea with three-year-old and a full interview. Pretty classy.
I’ll be honest. I was a little intimidated before Steve came over, but in person, he was just lovely.
That’s a word I never thought I would use to describe him.
But it’s true.
There’s no 3. You are terrible at counting. :p Blame mom brain. That’s what I do at times like this lol.
Aw, I love Steve! I watched him on Secret Life of the American Teenager (cheesy, I know).
I like that guy, that was awesome <3
What a nice guy. He seems like a big, cuddly teddy bear. But question – do the celebrities really not know they’re coming to your apartment to do the interview? He seemed genuinely surprised to learn that he was being interviewed in your living room.
Ha. I fixed it. Kind of.
I like how Steve is sitting in a regular size chair while Mazzy’s in a mini one at the little dainty tea table.
I think that’s probably because he’s an AC-TOR!
(that is a very old SNL reference. I am 853 years old.)
I think this may have trumped the Taye Diggs interview. Amazing.
That was a good one! He has so much heart and what a nice guy. But, Ilana, seriously, can Mazzy be more frickin beautiful? Those eyes kill me. And how good is she on camera??!! What a natural!
And I’m buying the book!
Your show is so good! Almost better than Mickey Mouse Club House.
Great interview! Kudos to Mazzy for the green room tea party!
He knew. They all know. I’d love for it to actually be a surprise but no publicist is going to send their client to my apartment blindly. Plus, they’d have to be pretty dense to think there is a TV studio in a clearly residential building:)
I always think she’s scary pretty. But I’m her mother so I might be bias.
YAY!!!! great great great! Love the part of the Jewish girl makin’ a pizza… urs turned out just right. How’d they taste? bet pretty good! would love smell-a-vision on these type of shows! 🙂
I want him in my living room having tea with Sweets and Noggin. When they are 16 and 17 and boys are coming over. That should do the trick.
I always thought he seemed like a good guy. I’m sure acting like a mobster is a fun break from reality.
I still can’t get over the amount you’ve skyrocketed since I started following you like 3 or 4 years ago. Steve Schirippa and Mazzy. There was no predicting that.
Love the show, tell the Ulive people to let you make more!
PB Tea Set! I have to drink out of the same set daily…He seemed very warm, and kind!
Okay, that makes sense. I was wondering how their agents/publicists were handling it. And don’t take this the wrong way, but I’m impressed the celebrities are actually going for this – especially the likes of Steve Schirripa and Taye Diggs. It really speaks to your rising star in cornering the kids’ market. Congrats!
I just binge-watched all 7 episodes because there was finally a moment where no one else was hogging the tablet! I’m in love. Steve is great, but I think the joke man might be my favorite!
Ah! I love this! Looks like a great time!
That was great! Where was Harlow? Will she be making any appearances or is she too famous already to do something like this? 😉 I’m totally buying his book.