Have you heard about "First World Problems"? It's a popular internet meme by a blog called The Badger Hut that looks like this:
Get the gist? Well, now Kate and Lydia, the hilarious ladies behind Rants From Mommyland are putting together something called "First World Problems: Mommy Edition". (Ex: "I waited at the pediatrician’s office for 20 minutes and I had nothing to do because the baby played with my iPad the whole time.")
Kate and Lydia asked for submissions last week and so far there are 177. And now they have asked ME to be one of the judges. This means I have to pick my top ten favorites. (Again— THERE ARE 177!)
Anyway, I spent a good hour reading through all the comments last night and narrowed it down to my top 26. (Examples: "The backyard looks ugly when the pool cover is on." and "It has taken so long for the stuff from Zullily to arrive that I no longer remember what it is.") I'll be working on narrowing them down to ten by Friday when Rants from Mommyland will be announcing the judge's official picks. (If you'd like to enter, just leave a comment below their post before Wednesday.)
I also took this opportunity to write my own "First World Problems". All incredibly TRUE, mind you. Although, I'm guessing I'm not eligible for the contest. BOO!!!
FIRST WORLD PROBLEMS: MOMMY (SHORTS) EDITION
1) Time Warner took away Preschool On Demand and lumped it together with Kids On Demand so now it takes me longer to scroll down to Sesame Street.
2) My building doesn't have a dedicated stroller room so I have to park the Bugaboo in my own hallway.
3) My husband makes dinner every night so while he's cooking, I have to take care of Mazzy myself.
4) There are so many floor-to-ceiling windows in our living room that we had to build a wall to have somewhere to hang the flatscreen.
5) My mother won't stop begging me to babysit.
6) While brunching this weekend, Mazzy insisted on eating the only croissant in the bread basket so we had to order (and pay for) another one.
7) My favorite frozen yogurt shop closed and an inferior frozen yogurt shop opened in it's place.
8) Our nanny asked if she could take Mazzy to the Children's Museum and I was late for work because I had to look up directions on the computer.
9) My husband got me a DSLR camera for my birthday but he refuses to read the manual for me.
10) Huggies sent me coupons for three months of free diapers but you can't redeem them online so I actually have to go into a store to use them. (Click here to enter my giveaway for a three month supply of Huggies diapers.)
And lastly, my very real, seriously devastating, first world problem…
I filmed Mazzy meeting Mickey and Minnie Mouse for the first time at the Disney Store and she deleted the video from my iPhone before I had the chance to upload it to the computer.
Please understand that this was the most adorable video in the whole world. Mazzy ran full speed into Minnie's arms, did "noses" with Mickey AND THEN declared them "Mama Minnie" and "Dada Minnie" before jumping into Mickey's lap.
I watched it a billion times in the hours following and when I showed my friend at work, she literally started crying from the cuteness. NO JOKE.
Then, the next night, I was showing Mazzy the video on the phone when she pressed trash and then "delete trash" before I could stop her. DAMN TOUCHSCREENS!!! I was so upset that when I called my mother to tell her what had happened, my mother thought someone had died.
Which brings me to….
FIRST WORLD PROBLEM: MAZZY EDITION
"My mom said I couldn't get a Minnie Mouse because I already have two at home. So I had to get Kermit the Frog instead."
If anyone wants to help me narrow down the list (177!!!), feel free to read the entries under the Rants from Mommyland post and tell me your favorite in the comment section below.
Also, if you haven't yet voted for "Best Shirtless Smash" in my Collosal Cake Smash Smackdown, please check it out. Nothing says "First World Problem" like cleaning up a cake given to a one-year-old that's meant for twenty people.