In honor of Nickelodeon’s Kid’s Choice Awards set to air on March 28th, NickMom asked me to write a post about slime. Yes, that green oozing semi-viscous signature substance often poured on the heads of unsuspecting Nickelodeon characters since it debuted on “You Can’t Do That On Television” back in the ’80s.
Remember that show?
If you do, YOU ARE OLD. Like me.
I thought green slime would make the perfect theme for Project Play Date, my play date series with my real life mom friend, Seri (aka Little Miss Party). We got the kids together for the greenest gooiest play date ever, complete with Make-Your-Own Glow-in-the-Dark Slime, Sour Slimed Cupcakes and Lime Slime Mocktails. (We were told to keep the Kid’s Choice Awards alcohol-free. Okay, FINE.)
Was it 100% successful? Not even a little. But the kids had a blast even if they wouldn’t touch the cupcakes. And everything LOOKED amazing.
Craft: MAKE-YOUR-OWN GLOW-IN-THE-DARK Slime
Every slime play date must start with DIY slime. I recommend portioning out the ingredients before you hand them over to your children. Otherwise, you might end up with especially glue-y slime which will not be as easy to remove from hands, clothes and brand new wood floors as you were expecting. Also— DO NOT ATTEMPT IF YOU HAVE A FINICKY CHILD WHO DOES NOT LIKE TO GET DIRTY. Sorry, Harlow.
What you need:
2 bottles of school glue (8 oz)
1 cup of liquid starch
Glow-in-the-dark squeezable paint
What to do:
1) Let kids combine the ingredients in a bowl and mix well. (Please keep in mind that none of this is safe for ingestion.)
2) Scream at your little one, “GO EASY ON THE GLUE!!! NOT TOO MUCH GLUE!!! THAT’S ENOUGH GREEN PAINT!!!!!!!”
3) As hard as this might be for everyone involved, allow the slime to sit for a few minutes before play. The longer it sits, the easier it will be to remove from surfaces later on. TRUST ME.
4) Pull slime out of the bowl, watch it ooze, touch your kids with it, listen to them squeal, hand over the bowl, let them make a huge mess, realize this mess isn’t as easy to clean up as you imagined, freak out when one kid gets a huge gob on your shirt, run to the sink, make the shirt situation worse, run back over to the group, listen as their laughter turns into genuine terror, try to contain the slime, FAIL.
5) Spend the next hour cleaning up the slime and changing everyone into new clothes, including yourself.
Snack: SOUR slimeD cupcakes
The first step to making Sour Slimed Cupcakes is taking perfectly good cupcakes (homemade or otherwise), waving goodbye to your guaranteed crowd pleaser and then dousing them in lemon lime curd.
This task is not for the faint of heart. We modified the recipe found here.
What you will need:
12 cupcakes with vanilla frosting (we made ours from a box)
2/3 cup bottled lemon juice
3/4 cup sugar
2 large eggs at room temperature
8-10 drops green food coloring and 2-3 drops of yellow
What to do:
1) Pour lemon juice into saucepan over medium heat, pour in sugar until dissolved.
2) In a separate bowl, lightly beat eggs. Then pour lemon mixture in bowl, combining with eggs, whisking constantly. Beat for one minute and then transfer all contents back to saucepan.
3) Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until curd starts to bubble and thicken. While cooking, mix in food coloring.
4) Take off heat and strain curd through a fine mesh sieve.
5) Cover with plastic wrap and chill in fridge for two hours before using.
6) Take your perfectly good vanilla cupcakes, stare at them for a little wondering why you would pour green slime on top and then say “For the love of Nickelodeon” five times.
7) Spoon a small amount of green curd onto each cupcake, evenly distributing. Don’t be afraid to let it trickle down the side. As slime should.
8) Serve to your kids. Listen to them scream and squeal, “Ew!!! I will not eat that cupcake! I want a plain cupcake!!!” before dissolving into giggles and daring each other to take a bite.
This is Harlow’s, “You don’t expect me to eat that, do you?” face.
Luke is naked due to the glow-in-the-dark slime incident earlier.
9) Stop the whining by getting out the plain cupcakes. You saved a few, right?
Drink: Lime Slime MOCKTAILs
While you are surveying the mess, taste testing rejected cupcakes and wondering how you are going to explain the slime on the couch to your husband, you will most definitely need a drink. Sorry, there is no alcohol involved.
What you will need:
2 tbsp. lime juice
1 cup pineapple juice, chilled
6 tbsp. lime sherbet, softened
3/4 cup lemon-lime flavored carbonated beverage, chilled
(makes 4 cups)
What to do:
1) Mix all together
3) Garnish with sliced limes
4) Pray this is the last time you get slimed
All in all, the kids had a ton of fun and a truly unforgettable play date. We learned green slime can be a good thing and even got a little dirty ourselves. I can only imagine what they would feel like if they actually got slimed at the Kid’s Choice Awards.
Would your kids love to get slimed at the real Kid’s Choice Awards?
Your family can win a trip to attend the KCA awards in Los Angles. To enter, follow @NickBreaks on twitter and answer all slime related questions with the hashtag #ReadySetSlimeSweeps. This contest was brought to you by Walmart so make sure to stock up on all your KCA play date goodies there. Sweeps ends Friday 3/20 at noon EST. Find the full rules here.