Last week I posted a six second Vine of a flying fairy committing suicide by flying into a fire. It was both heartbreaking and hilarious. You can see the unedited video here:
I have since discovered the poor girl above was not the only child to lose her favorite new toy in a childhood-altering fashion. These two girls below lost their flying fairy too.
Except, their fairy’s escape route will require much less future therapy.
I like to imagine the fairy above has joined all her escaped flying fairy friends where they will live up in the clouds feasting on raindrops and snowflakes until Peter Pan comes to take them to Neverland.
That’s a lot more pleasant than eventually running out of battery and careening several thousand feet before you crash land back on earth, don’t you think?
Flying fairies aren’t the only toys with a death wish.
When I posted about the suicidal fairy on facebook, someone was kind enough to share this poor boy’s first and last time playing with his remote control model plane.
I love how he looks after the toy, not quite registering what has happened. *Sniff.*
Then a reader named Kerri chimed in about the horrible fate of Rosie, her family’s Elf on the Shelf, who got injured in a freak accident last Christmas.
“One night I positioned Rosie on the light fixture above the kitchen island. Our daughter didn’t see her in the morning and the day got away from us until night time when my hubs flipped on the light and smelled something burning. Yes, Rosie’s face, which was resting on the light bulb, had caught on fire. Hubby flung Rosie off the light while our daughter screamed that he had ‘killed’ her. This is how I set Rosie up that night:
Good save, Kerri!
After seeing those four stellar examples of good gifts gone wrong, I thought I would do a thorough search for equally horrific toy accidents caught on film.
Doesn’t that sound like a fun way to spend an evening?
SPOILER ALERT: It is not. After googling things like “barbie head falls off”, “thomas the train crash” and “little girl devastated after American Girl falls out of moving vehicle”, I suddenly realized this was perhaps the worst holiday exercise ever. There are only so many genuine toy loss tears a mom can take before her Christmas/Hanukah spirit is killed forever.
I’m not sure how to end this post, except with this:
Do you have any horror stories of losing precious toys in freak accidents? Either from childhood or with your own kids? DO TELL.
Back in the olden days, I had a Fisher Price “My Friend” Becky doll. Sort of an American Girl doll precursor. She was beautiful, with soft, red curls to her shoulders, freckles and Aqua eyes that matched her dress. Finally, I got a pretty doll! My sister always got the blonde, blue eyed dolls with the frills and lace and I got the brown doll, with brown hair, eyes, and dress, all brown. Not this time, I was so happy! The best part about these folks was that you could wash their hair and set it with sponge rollers. Of course I did this, even though my doll’s hair was already curly. Then, thinking I was brilliant, I leaned her up against the wall heater in our family room so her hair would dry quicker. Well, the entire back of her head melted, of course, as well as her lovely curls. She had a giant, burnt plastic hole gaping in the back of her head. I was devastated. I still think about this, just pointed out the mark on the heater to my daughter the other day and poor Becky is tucked away in a box in the back bedroom. On the bright side, my daughter wanted to play with Becky when she found her and asked if she could have her!
Long about 1991, my little brother was IN LOVE with his Elmo plushie. This was at a time before Elmo took over the earth and the thing was not as easy to come by as it is now. Anyway, it was just after bath time and my dad was helping me blow dry my hair. When I was done, little brother thought it would be a swell idea to give Elmo a blow out too. However, being 4, his technique was not the best and he ended up pressing the nozzle of the hair dryer directly against Elmo’s (foam) nose. It caused a major scorch mark that nothing could fix. The smell was awful and, really, we are just lucky Elmo didn’t burst into flames. Nevertheless, little brother was so attached to Elmo, my mom stuck some band aids over the mark and we all went on with life. 20 years later, my brother presented my daughter with a new Elmo doll and his old “Boo-boo Elmo” for her first birthday.
I have that same rocking Elmo. I hate it. So much. He also has an Elmo in a chimney that sings deck the halls. They sing at the same time. all the time. from the time the nearly 3 year old sees them until he goes to bed. Where he has big hugs elmo.
My cat died on my Care Bear. My mom threw away the carebear because of this. It was the saddest day. “Your cat died and by the way we threw away your beloved stuffed animal.”
That’s so sad!
I used to have a stuffed unicorn, Uni (I know, creative), that I got after having pretty major oral surgery. After a while, Uni, being white and all, got pretty dingy after being “loved” so hard, so I decided to give her a bath. Turns out Uni was stuffed with paper shreds, and therefore would’ve molded horrible. Had to throw her out. Am still heartbroken over it.
I have two! I received a cabbage patch preemie doll for my first birthday, took her everywhere for years. One day I decided to put stickers all over her (bald) head which left glue marks when I removed them a few days later. My mom tried to use nail polish remover to get the glue off but slipped and ended up completely removing one of her eyes!! I was devastated. Luckily my mom was crafty and spent hours painting the eye back on. My doll spent a week in a full body cast (toilet paper and an entire roll of scotch tape). I still have her and you can’t tell which eye is which.
2nd – My teddy bear eventually became toy #1 who I slept with every night into my 20’s. I had this certain sleeping position that I couldn’t replicate without him. I would hide him in my pillow if I had a boy over lol. Anyway my 2 yr old nephew was playing with him one day and must have ‘accidentally’ put him in the recycling container. I never saw him again. I think I cried during the entire movie the first time I saw toy story 3.